Team development sessions focus on conflict prevention and proactive team development.
Good teams have many characteristics such as trust, respect, clarity, flexibility, tradition, innovation, excellence and a sense of fun. Great work teams not only have these traits, but also the ability to both navigate and bounce back from difficult moments.
Team development sessions are a progressive series of three or four half-day events designed to develop a team’s capacity to effectively and respectfully prevent, manage and resolve the inevitable misunderstandings, tensions and conflicts that occur at work.
The specific design/focus for your team development sessions is negotiated either through a conversation with the team leader/designate or through a team assessment process where all team members are interviewed prior to the team development session(s).
Methodology/Sample Project Plan
Sample Three-Session Outline
Session 1: Introduction to resilient teams
- Navigation: a guide for team renewal
- Identifying team strengths
- Five traits of resilient vs. dysfunctional teams
- Dynamics of trust
- Appreciating individual strengths
Session 2: Working with style difference and conflict
- Establishing an internal team dynamic goal and task goal
- Identifying patterns of tension and conflict
- Skills to prevent and clear up misunderstandings
- Tools to manage differences
- Processes to resolve conflict
Session 3: Developing a recovery plan (team charter)
- Confirming/refining team goals
- Setting team expectations / commitments to work towards these goals
- Developing a “recovery plan” (expectations on how the team will recover from future challenges)
- Sharing personal commitments